Triphala powder is one of the most popular herbal formula, which has been used in ayurvedic medicine since time immemorial. There are many uses of triphala and they range from hair care to digestive aid.
Triphala powder is a Ayurvedic herbal formula, that is made using equal parts of Amalaki, Bibhitaki and Haritaki. The other names for these herbs are Amla, Baheda and Harada respectively. The word triphala is a Sanskrit word, which in literal terms means ‘three fruits’. The powder of the three herbs is made from the fruits, without the seeds. Each of the fruits are rich sources of different nutrients. Amla for example is a rich source of Vitamin C, whereas baheda is a bitter fruit, that is rich in Vitamin A, proteins and Omega-3 essential fatty acids. Harada is not only popular in Ayurveda, but also in Tibet, where it is known as ‘king of medicine’ and is a heart and brain tonic.
Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Amlaki or Amla is a fruit which is the richest source of vitamin C, which helps build immunity.
- It is an effective antioxidant which helps to remove harmful toxins from the body.
- It helps in strengthening and nourishing our lungs and respiratory tract, by removing mucus out of the lungs.
- It helps to maintain good reproductive health by regulating the menstrual cycle and helps increase fertility in both males and females.
- Amalaki helps induce iron (Fe), which helps purify blood tissues and also helps in blood circulation, thus maintaining the proper functioning of our heart.
- It also acts as a muscle toner by increasing protein synthesis.
- It aids the absorption of calcium and other minerals into our body. Calcium helps to strengthen the bones while important minerals and nutrients help prevent hair fall and premature graying of hair.
Bhibitaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Bhibitaki helps to maintain proper balance of all the systems of our body. It acts as a blood purifier, and helps curb hemorrhage.
- Bhibitaki acts as an internal cleanser, removing harmful toxins, and excess fats out of the body.
- It is anti-viral and anti bacterial in nature. It nurtures voice quality and improves eyesight.
- It helps to strengthen our hair roots and enriches hair color and texture.
Haritaki (Terminalia bellirica)
- Haritaki has five rasas, or tastes, namely, sweet, sour, salty, pungent, bitter and astringent out of the existing six rasas.
- It stimulates the functioning of our digestive system and strengthens the sensory organs.
- Haritaki provides effective cure against piles, anemia, diarrhea, gastro-intestinal infections, and gallstones.
- It helps in fighting fever, headache, cough, and asthma.
- It is effective against heart diseases and helps regulates blood pressure.
Health Benefits of Triphala
We have just seen the benefits of each of the ingredients that is used to make triphala powder. All the herbs together in combination is useful for treating multiple ailments, as the most important of the triphala uses is that it helps in removing accumulated toxins from the body. Therefore, it is said to be the best herbal remedy for constipation and an effective formula in the process of colon cleanse. At the same time, like is the case with other medicine used to treat constipation, a person does not get habituated to this formula.
There are other benefits of this powder benefits are well. It is also used to improve blood circulation, lower blood pressure, improve liver function and not to forget, it also aids in the weight loss process. The properties of triphala are also beneficial in fighting bad bacteria, viruses, allergies and other mutagens, thereby keeping the body free of all ailments. According to some hardcore practitioner’s of Ayurveda, it is a panacea that is able to cure all illnesses. Research is underway about the benefits of triphala for hair growth. Triphala, however, can be used for cleaning oily hair, that needs washing frequently. Many also claim that this powder can also be used as an acne face pack. Recent studies conducted on the mice have concluded that triphala inhibits the growth of cancer cell in laboratory mice.
Triphala powder is also said to be beneficial for the eyes. It helps in strengthening the muscles of the eyes and improves eyesight. It also helps in curing a number of eye problems, such as cataracts, glaucoma, progressive myopia as well as conjunctivitis. It can also be used to wash the eyes to reduce the redness in the eyes. It can also be used to treat impaired vision.
It has been used to treat obesity, as it regularizes the functioning of the digestive system. Use of triphala is said to be beneficial for the liver, as it helps in secretion of bile juices, that are necessary for burning fats. At the same time, it helps in reducing water retention and thereby induces weight loss.
Triphala can be had in both powder as well as tablet form. The traditional method of consuming triphala is to mix the powder with warm water and drink the concoction before going to bed. In severe ailments three doses of one gram each is recommended after every meal with warm water. An alternative could be to take a single dose of three grams in the evening with warm water after dinner.
Triphala powder is one of the rarest formula, that is being blessed with the quality that it does not have any side effects, when taken in the recommended dosage. It can be taken by anyone above the age of 3 years. It acts as a natural anti-aging agent, hence is often recommended to people in the higher age group. Due to the non-addictive quality of this powder, it is often recommended for treating an array of ailments. However, it should be taken under medical supervision by pregnant women or by people suffering with conditions such as diarrhea, dysentery, etc.
Comparing the benefits of triphala powder to the side effects, benefits certainly do out weigh the side effects. However, it is recommended you talk to a certified Ayurveda practitioner before you actually start the use of this powder.
via : Triphala Powder.