The papaya (Carica papaya) is native to Central America and Mexico. It is now grown worldwide and in India to. Fruit Papayas are spherical or pear-shaped which can be up to 20 inches. The most common in the market usually average 7 inches. Their flesh is a rich orange color with either yellow or pink hues. Within the inner cavity of the fruit are black, round seeds encased in a gelatinous substance similar. Papaya seeds are edible, although their peppery flavor is a little bitter. Papaya eaten as raw fruit and ripen contain high levels of vitamins A and C and a photochemical called beta-cryptoxanthin as well as promoting health. It also contains papain, a protease enzyme anti-bacterial.
Health benefits of Papaya
- Papaya contains a high amount of potassium and the flesh of papaya is very high in Vitamin A. Papaya seeds and leaves are useful in treating intestinal worms found in the body.
- Papaya helps prevent constipation and also aid in digesting food. Papaya contains the protein called papain which is a digestive enzyme that helps in natural digestion process.
- Papaya juice helps in alleviating infections of the colon by clearing away the infection, pus and mucus. Regular consumption will help in improving the problem.
- The skin of papaya is excellent for treating skin wounds and places that do not heal quickly.
- Papaya is low in calories and high in nutritive value hence it is an excellent food for those on a diet.
- Regularly consuming papaya helps to relieve morning sickness and nausea.
- Papaya has anti-inflammatory properties and anti-cancerous properties. The anti-inflammatory properties in papaya will help reduce pain for those suffering from arthritis, edema and osteoporosis.
- Papaya is very good for those who frequently suffer from cold, cough or flu because intake of papaya boosts the immune system. The high concentration of Vitamin C and Vitamin A contained in papaya is very beneficial to strengthen the immune system.
- Papaya is also very good for the hair and helps in controlling dandruff. Papaya shampoos are good for the hair and are available in many health stores.
- Raw papaya also helps in reducing menstrual irregularities for women. Papaya helps to ease the condition by promoting natural flow of menstruation.
- Papaya cleans the stomach and studies have shown that papaya alone eaten for 3 to 4 days has a highly beneficial tonic effect upon the stomach and intestines.
- If you are infected with dengue haemorrhagic fever and have low platelet count which is known as Thrombocytopenia, the extracts of raw papaya leaves can help you to increase your platelet count.
- Leaves from a fruit-bearing tree can be taken, it has to be washed with clean water and then crushed in a wooden pestle without water or salt. The crushed leaves are then to be squeezed by hand to extract the juice and consume it fresh for increasing your platelet count. A quantity of 10 ml is prescribed for adults twice a day and 5ml twice a day for children aged between five and 12 years.